Frank Tjepkema (born 1970) is a Dutch designer based in Amsterdam. He works in interior design, architecture, product design and jewellery.
After growing up in Geneva, Brussels and New-York Frank Tjepkema settled in the Netherlands where he graduated cum laude from the Design Academy in Eindhoven in 1996 and obtained an MA Degree from the Sanberg Instituut in Amsterdam in 1998. Frank’s graduation project on artificial nature drew immediate attention and was selected for the Droog Design collection. His relationship with Droog led to a succession of notable projects like the Do Break in 2000, the award-winning British Airways Executive Lounge at Heathrow in 2004 and the Chair of Textures presented during Art Basel Miami Beach 2006 (a Droog project in collaboration with gallery Friedman Benda).
Frank started Tjep. in 2001. In parallel to leading the design studio, Frank Tjepkema provokes audiences worldwide through his art and exhibition pieces, such as the Recession Chair, Bling Bling and Oogst. Frank’s work can be found in the world’s most influential galleries including Tajan in Paris, Droog in Amsterdam, and in major design exhibitions such as the Museum fur Kunst und Gewerbe in Hamburg, the Centre Pompidou in Paris, the Cooper Hewitt and the Museum of Art and Design in New York. “I seek to create a body of work that reflects contemporary society, the times we live in. These pieces can have a certain irony yet are created with love for the subject. My more engaged and artistic approach to design can be found in gallery pieces and in the Tjep.collection. Tjep.studio is aimed at working with a broad range of clients to create outstanding design projects infused with Tjep. soul.”
Frank has lectured at many design academies in the Netherlands and abroad including the Design Academy Eindhoven, the Rietveld Academy in Amsterdam (Head of Department from 2001-2004), Universidad Iberoamericana Mexico City, Iceland Academy of The Arts Reykjavik, and The Acadia Summer Arts Program Maine USA. He has also lectured in Japan (Nagoya Design Center), Malaysia, Spain and Hungary. Frank Tjepkema has been an invited speaker at major conferences such as Design Indaba (twice), What Design Can Do and Singapore Design Challenge 2050.
Frank has also been a member of the board of the Premsela Foundation, a member of the examination commission at the Dutch Foundation for Art and Design and juror for the Dutch Design Awards and Francoise van der Bosch Award.
Photo by Lisa Klappe
Tomás Schön / designer
Rob van Houten / architect
Architect, engineer and designer. Studied at the University of Technology of Delft where he teaches architecture, building technology and urbanisme. Founder of office 4 Radical building.
Brant Emery / brand strategist
Graduated Master of Science in Marketing, Aberdeen Business School, 1999.
Jaro Kose / designer
Product designer. Graduated with a Master Degree in industrial design, Academy of Fine Arts in Łódź, Poland. Previously gained experience at Marcel Wanders, Pedal Factory and Bleijh.
We are happy and proud to have been recognised by a diversity of awards during our history.
- 1996 Nominated Wolkenkrabber Award
- 2001 Nominated Rotterdam Design Award
- 2003 Nominated Rotterdam Design Award
- 2003 Honorable mention Tiara for Maxima
- 2003 Winner Stocke Iens Award with Praq
- 2004 Winner Dutch Design Awards, category interior design with Airco Tree
- 2004 Winner Dutch Design Awards, category fashion design with Bling Bling
- 2006 Praq is selected by the book Cool Brands
- 2006 Fabbrica nominated for the dutch design Awards
- 2006 Immaterial trophy selected for the Dutch Design Awards
- 2007 Fabbrica nominated for the Hospitality Awards
- 2007 Waater nominated for the bottledwaterworld awards
- 2007 ROC Apeldoorn honorable mention Dutch Design Awards
- 2007 Tjep. nominated for the Harrie Tillie Award
- 2008 ROC Apeldoorn shortlisted for the Lensvelt de Architect interieurprijs
- 2008 Praq nominated for the Dutch Design Awards category design for all
- 2008 Praq nominated for the Hospitality Awards
- 2010 Clockwork Love nominated for The Dutch Design Awards, fashion
- 2011 Frontier Awards shortlist for House of Tulips
- 2011 International Design Awards, honorable mention for Schiphol lounge 3
- 2014 Winner Editors Choice Award Prague Designblok
- 2015 Winner of The International Yacht & Aviation Awards. House of tulips in the category airport retail concept.
- 2018 Nominated for The International Yacht & Aviation Awards. Eau best concept yacht larger than 60 meters.
The 10 Tjep.’s
- Thou shalt not makest boring designs.
- Thou shalt let anything and everything relevant trigger thy thoughts.
- Thou shalt embrace the possibilities offered by the digital revolution. Thou shalt embrace the possibilities offered by any revolution.
- By all means thy focus shalt remain craftsmanship and impeccable quality in every project and product.
- All the while thou shalt remember not to conform to systems, dogmas or preconceptions, not even thy own ones.
- Thou shalt not conform to what wondering souls call the market.
- Thou shalt not conform to trends, thou wilt serve thy brothers and sisters by living thy own trend.
- Thou art not to be demotivated by what is referred to as the crisis.
- Every time, O mortal, thou shalt deliver more than is required, or thy soul shan’t be vinomadefied.
- Reminder: thou shalt not makest boring designs.